1. Students will learn how to communicate their emotions, frustrations, and inspirations through different styles of poetry, while building vocabulary and grammar skills. This acts as a subconscious release of stresses, and serves as mental learning stones.
2 Students will create and coordinate poems to accompany other readings or dramatizations performed or mimicked by their peers. Not excluding personal or anonymous experiences they may feel strongly about.
3. Students will overcome personal challenges by reciting poetry independently and amongst their peers. This builds their self-confidence, a Life Skill that stays with them forever, strengthening them as an individual. (Performance Opportunity varies)
How will the workshop be conducted
Classes are Mondays from 6pm-7pm.
S.L.A.M. Poetry Workshop will be conducted as a classroom in local public schools. Each student will have the responsibility of completing in-class and homework assignments. For the one hour period each workshop, the student will participate in group activities, writing poems, memorizing poems, performing poems. These students will gather enough information to equip their minds to think more creative while subconsciously releasing the very same stresses they speak of. The cirriculum focuses on a 10 week program with one class a week in which students will learn the fundamentals of poetry and apply it to their lives in a therapeutic and fruitful manner.
The Speak Freely Foundation presents a workshop that targets both young boys and girls between the ages of 13-17 years old, called Speaking Life Among Many, or “S.L.A.M.”, Workshop. For a one hour period, of one day of every week, students will build their poetry skills, literacy skills and self-confidence. This will help improve performance levels in school, grades in school, and help define ownership of self. The S.L.A.M. Workshop will provide a perfect opportunity for youth’s personal growth and healing through the rocky wonder years of life. (Johnson uses poetry this way serves as a therapeutic stress reliever in this positive peer group.)
The Speak Freely Foundation would like to present a workshop that will target both young boys and girls between the ages of 8-18 years old as well as unique cases of other ages. Students will define the ownership of self, and learning how to respect each other and learn discipline of self. This program with provide a perfect opportunity for student’s release of frustrations through learning and understanding the science of boxing.
1. To create a boxing program for all at risk youth in the Tri-County area.
2. To increase individual self esteem through a positive stimuli.
3. To allow a release of negative energy through positive channeling.
4 . To build youth’s awareness for physical health and its importance
How will the program be conducted
Classes are Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays 6pm-7:30pm at Armory Park. Families can sign their student(s) up for a season of classes, adult classes are available as well. We do ask for donations when signing students up, if possible!
SLAM Boxing workshop will be conducted as a class in their public schools. Each student will have the responsibility of completing in-class and homework assignments. For the one and a half hour period each day, the student will participate in group activities. The student will gather enough information to equip their minds to think more creative and civilized.